Foxconn Employees Threaten Mass Suicide
Foxconn, the world’s largest electronic component maker (think: Apple, Amazon, Nintendo, Dell, Panasonic… well, you get the point) is not a nice place to work. So rampant have the suicides been that last year the company made workers sign pledges not to kill themselves.
Via The Atlantic Wire:
As American consumers ogle over shiny new gadgets at this week’s Consumer Electronic’s Show, the workers that make those products are threatening mass suicide for the horrid working conditions at Foxconn. 300 employees who worked making the Xbox 360 stood at the edge of the factory building, about to jump, after their boss reneged on promised compensation, reports English news site Want China Times. It’s not like this is the first time working conditions at Foxconn have made news outside China. But iPhone and Xbox sales surely haven’t lagged in the wake of those revelations and neither Apple nor Microsoft has done much of anything to fix things.
As The Atlantic Wire points out, this week’s This American Life features a trip to a Foxconn factory in Shenzhen, China where approximately 350,000 to 450,000 people are employed.
You can listen to the episode here.
Image: Workers at Foxconn via China Southern Weekly
- ianmahler likes this
- whywolfe reblogged this from loveyourchaos
- anthonyjosafiend likes this
- nokturnaltimes reblogged this from picturesoftheday
- noambitionnodrive likes this
- photosnew reblogged this from reuters
- intosomethingbeautiful reblogged this from aquiethistory
- malaaaasuertee21 likes this
- vigoroustorpor2 reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- independent-xoxo reblogged this from mcfatty91
- tohellwithyousir reblogged this from youngvaginaenthusiast and added:
- deardeity-nicework-sincerelyme reblogged this from sleepwithinnocence
- veronicadelmar reblogged this from christianortegalcc
- frigotehnist likes this
- hernelille likes this
- This was featured in #News
- futurejournalismproject posted this